4.30.2009

goodbye to you

I was lucky enough to have amazing great-grandparents for almost 22 years of my life. In the past year my last two great-grandma's have passed away, and now I'm left with no great-grandparents.... sad.
Elizabeth Webster Beckstead 1917 ~ 2009 Elizabeth Webster Beckstead passed away April 25, 2009. Beth was born on February 17, 1917 to Mary Jane Jones and Lewis P. Webster, the 5th of 10 children. She graduated from Jordan High School 1935. She married Marvin W. Beckstead on September 23, 1935 in the Salt Lake LDS temple. Beth enjoyed gardening, crocheting, reading and sending cards to family and friends and was an excellent cook and seamstress. She loved her dog, Maggie. Survived by her children, Mary Jo (Gary) Hansen, Dean (Bonnie) Beckstead, and Carol (Ed) Simpson; also sister, Mable Handley. She was known as "Grandma B" to her 15 grandchildren, 46 great and seven great-great-grandchildren. Beth was preceded in death by her husband, Marvin; infant daughter, Marvel; grandson, Christopher Simpson; and eight brothers and sisters. Funeral services will be Wednesday April 29, 2009 at 11:00 a.m. in the Union Fort 5th LDS Ward, 6770 South 500 East, Midvale. Friends may call at the church on Wednesday for a viewing from 9:45-10:45 a.m. Burial in Sandy Cemetery.

You would never guess she was my grandma with her red hair and freckles, but but but maybe it will be passed down to my kiddies. I am obsessed with freckle faces. If my kids get Austin and Grandma B's freckles, I will be one happy motha. Little Gracie Girl got her red hair, and I love it!

She's been without her hubby for 15 years, and she was definitely ready to go at a whoppin age of 92. She was able to live on her own until 11 days before she died, which makes me happy. She definitely lived a long and happy life. A cute story about her - She didn't have a current temple recommend in the care center, and when her bishop visited she told him she needed to get a recommend because it was almost her time to go, and she needed her "ticket" to get into heaven.
Look at them two cutie pies. Another funny story - last week my little sister and my mom went to visit her. Erika was asking her what's the secret to living so long. Grandma replied, "Just be good." Erika said, "Okay, well what do I need to do to be good?" She said, "Don't let boys touch you in places they shouldn't, but as soon as you get married you can TOUCH TOUCH TOUCH." And then she said, "Do you want me to go into more detail?" Hahaha that cracks me up. Grandmas say the darnest things.
Here's me and my sisters (minus Lindsay) at the funeral, which was my kind of funeral by the way - short and sweet.

Can't wait to see you again, Grandma!

5 comments:

Tasty Tidbits said...

I don't have any more great-grandparents left either. Bestagrandma was my last one and really my only one for a really long time. It's sad to see them go, but at the same time they had such great long lives! And I'm sure they are ready and happy. :) By the way, I ordered the book The Pact that you recommended to me, so when I'm done with the third Harry Potter I'm going to read it! Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. ... you look AMAZING!

:)

Heath

Katie Lane said...

What a cute grandma. I can totally see some of you girls in her in the old black and white by herself (with the awesome shirt I might add). That story about Erika was great. You girlies are way cute.

Cher said...

ha ha, i didn't know that story about erika. that cracks me right up! and i don't mind you using the pics, they're good ones huh? i found the old ones on the dvd grandma gave me.

Brandon and Lindsay said...

That story is so funny about Erika. Haha Grandmas really do say the darndest things! Too bad I'm not in that cute sister pic...waa